What’s it all about?
At St. James, we know that financial stewardship is an important component of a balanced spiritual life. Returning to God from that which God has given us is a tangible way to express our faith. When each of us gives as we are able, together we fund ministry within our parish, to the Cheboygan community, and to the world.
What is a annual support committment?
It is an estimate of giving; some call it a statement of intent. Your annual estimate amount may be changed, increased or decreased during the year, at any time as your financial circumstances change.
Why should I estimate my annual support?
Estimating your annual giving allows you to make intentional decisions about your financial giving. When you plan ahead for your giving, you make conscious choices about spending your money in ways that reflect your faith and values. Receiving the notice of your annual estimate allows our Vestry, the church’s governing board, to do for our parish community what you do for your household: plan wisely for the use our resources in support of the mission and ministry to which God has called us. The Vestry sets a budget based on the total financial support estimates to the church. While plate offerings are important to the parish, your pledge lets the Vestry plan more accurately for the ministry we can accomplish.
How do I make an annual support estimate?
While our annual giving campaign is held in the fall, pledges may be made at any time.
Every gift, every amount matters
Where you start or whether you tithe on your annual or gross income is not nearly as important as simply making your first estimated gift. Every gift make a difference, regardless of the amount.
What if I make a gift estimate but later find I can’t pay it in full?
Parishioners raise and lower their estimated gifts all the time. It is an estimate to help church budgeting; it is not a legal or moral obligation. Please don’t let your uncertainty prevent you from making a pledge. If you have financial difficulties or other unexpected events, simply notify the Stewardship office.
Isn’t there additional income that supplements the budget?
80% of the budget comes from gifts from parishioners. The remaining 20% of the budget comes from building rental, distributions from the St James Endowment Fund and from other non-pledged gifts. Our ministries are supported by the commitment you make.
If you have questions about financial stewardship, Fr. Lew Crusoe is happy to talk with you. Please call for an appointment, 231-627-6011.